Sunday, 25 February 2007

BEHIND BORDERLINES PART II

These 2 photos below were meant to be the last 2 of the previous post. Due to Google's New Blogger, however, which only allowed me to upload those 6 and no more at a time, and then would not allow me to reshuffle the images as I prefered; and Telkom's dial-up rates, which would render me bankrupt if I did this all over again, you may think I have no sense of narrative, but that would be a misconception ...


Mielie
This was lunch on the day Khaya’s mother, Thandi, flew in from Gauteng to East London and drove 40 minutes to the Kei River to meet with us to answer questions that have been clouding her daughter’s mind for years. Lunch cost R20-00 for four people.



The Last Supper
Doing their bit to perpetuate stereotypes of black South Africans, neither Khaya, nor Ndumiso had eaten Sushi before. When Karen-kazi and I fantasized about Sushi on our trip (most of our meals were restricted to pizzas, burgers, or some form of chicken in the former Transkei), Khayakazi and Ndumiso were intrigued and inspired to taste this delicacy for themselves. We found a place when we were back in civilisation (Port Elizabeth) and initiated them. They were won-over and have sworn that they will make Sushi a regular experience of their (relatively) big city-life in Cape Town. … Another stereotype on shaky legs.